Happy hump day! I don’t have much other than a bunch of random thoughts today. Work has been challenging and exciting but mostly so so exhausting. I wind up coming home drained with no energy for much other than couch time. I can’t wait to put the week behind me and spend some time catching up on sleep and relaxation. Also maybe I’ll get off my booty and exercise because that has been SERIOUSLY lacking this
I just realized that I never shared the news that we’re having a little GIRL! I had a feeling that it was a girl from the beginning so I wasn’t surprised at all when the sonogram print-out confirmed it. That “mother’s intuition” thing is no joke! I would have been thrilled either way but this bit of info about our baby makes it all that much more real!
In other baby related news, I read this sweet post the other day and was fighting tears. It’s mentally difficult to deal with and adjust to the physical changes that come along with pregnancy but this was a good reminder that a postpartum body is beautiful in so many ways. As a society we don’t celebrate that enough (or ever?).
Hypnobirthing classes are going really well. Sure, they get a little woo-woo at times but I can get down with woo-woo. The “Rainbow Relaxation” audio (which is practice for getting into a relaxed state) has been knocking me out almost every night. So relaxing! With this method, there is a lot of work involved to be prepared for the big day so I need to stay on top of practicing some of the other relaxation techniques too.
I’m almost done with the Desire Map and hope to do a recap of that once I’m finished. I think it’s really helping me to narrow down on some goals (or at least key desired feelings) that I can focus on this year! For a goal junkie like me, this is exciting and interesting stuff. I don’t want to get too crazy with goals this year with the new baby on the way so this will be a perfect way to do what matters most – you know, aside from keeping another person alive.
At the beginning of the year I signed up for an awesome series of newsletters for creatives (or aspiring creatives, in my case!) through Braid Creative. One of the exercises has been to do a time audit for 4 days. A few things that I found out about my day…
- Work accounts for much more than 8 hours a day – especially when you include commuting. I knew this already but it was kind of shocking to see it on paper.
- I “multi-task” too often. Even watching TV often involves a little interneting on the side. I really need to get better at focusing on what’s directly in front of me.
- A huge amount of my weekend time goes to other people. I love my family & friends but I need to get better at carving out time for things that I want to accomplish – even if that involves the couch and catching up on HIMYM.
- I was hoping to discover pockets of time that I could be utilizing better but instead realized that I am pretty booked these days. A regular weeknight allows about for about 3 1/2 – maybe 4 hours of time for the “other category” (not including making dinner).
- I sit a lot. To say it’s a majority of my day is an understatement. Exercise and movement is really important to me but I’m not practicing what I preach by a long shot.
- I do however, make time for cooking quality meals which is a win in my book. Definitely something that I value.
- Overall, I allocate a lot of my time to doing things that I don’t necessarily want to be doing. Some of that is required “adult” things but I think I could get better at incorporating working on things that I really want to accomplish – things that are on my “ideal day” list – as well as saying NO more often (that’s a hard one for me).