I mentioned a while ago that I had sort of fallen off the wagon after my whole30 in January. Easter weekend was no exception and I went to bed Sunday night feeling terrible. Clearly an adjustment is in order. I don’t plan on doing another whole30 or anything but these changes are how I plan to get back on the wagon – rather than dragging behind it. 🙂
1. Meal plan – During my whole30 I would sit down every weekend with my cookbooks, laptop, grocery list and meal planning notepad to map out the week. I plan to bring this back. If I know it’s going to be a busy week I’ll keep it pretty simple – breakfast totally makes for a decent dinner. On the other hand if I don’t have a lot going on I love trying out new recipes form one of my favorite cookbooks.
2. Grocery shop – On good weeks this happens on Saturday or Sunday. On bad weeks it might not happen until Tuesday but being prepared with the groceries I need for the week’s meal plan cuts down on all those little trips to the store and makes the week run a lot more smoothly.
3. Cook protein – Having hard boiled eggs, baked chicken thighs or plain old ground beef is super handy when I need to throw together a quick lunch. Add some frozen veggies and it’s a meal.
4. Be flexible -Although I love having a perfectly planned menu for the week, often times life just happens (as it does) and I have to do some reshuffling. I’ll swap plans for the day or just swap out a complicated side dish for something quick and simple. If I try to stay too “on plan” it will likely end in tears and bad decisions.
5. Make decisions – Duh, right?! So important and sometimes, SO difficult! Make the good decision. Think about the consequences and really weigh whether or not something is worth it.