Big things have happened this year and as a result, I’ve felt kind of off balance and out of routine since about June / July. I’m truly grateful for everything this year has brought but even those wonderful things are change and change can be stressful. I had a mini meltdown the other day – as you do while pregnant – over all the change recently and just general feeling of being unsettled, unbalanced and unfocused. So, instead of dwelling on how crazy things have been I want to try to start focusing on where I want to be and how I want to feel in my everyday life. I recently ordered the Desire Map which sounds kind of hippy-woo-woo but I’m really looking forward to working through it and am hoping it will help me focus on some goals that are most meaningful for me in the year to come (understanding that it’s about to be one CRAZY upside-down year). I really love the sentiment of setting goals that matter versus setting goals just to cross another thing off my list.
For the near term, I’ve narrowed down a few focus areas that I can work on here and now. My most immediate goal is to have a happy and healthy pregnancy, delivery and baby so my focus areas are a reflection of that.
22 week bump!
1. Nourishment (food!) – Things have gotten out of hand around here with the holidays! I want to clean it up for me and for the baby. Time to reel it in on the late night ice cream and trips to the candy drawer at work. I’m also following along with Carrots n Cake and doing a food diary for this week to kick things off.
2. Moving (slowly) – I miss my intense sweaty workouts and I’m not sure why but I’ve swung to the complete opposite end of the pendulum and haven’t been doing much of anything the last couple weeks. I want to stay committed to doing something at least 3x/week. My favorites lately include prenatal yoga, barre, walking/jogging or an at home dvd. Ideally, I’d be doing something 5 days a week but yeahhh…let’s start off slow.
3. Meditating – My 30 days of meditation focus was my favorite challenge earlier this year but I’ve only sat down to do it a handful of times since. Time to bring it back. I think 1x/week would be a good place to start.
4. Journaling – I started a journal just after our wedding and it’s been really therapeutic to get my thoughts out on paper. I want to be doing this more….maybe 1x/week to start?
5. Preparing for labor (eeeeek) – I’ve decided to take the plunge and take the hypnobirthing class offered by my hospital that starts in January. I want to feel as calm and prepared when the time comes and with all the meditation and yoga I’ve done in the past year, this method sounded right to me. It’s all about mentally preparing yourself and trusting your body to do it’s thang.
6. Sleeeeeep – My pregnant body has been craving those quality ZZZs! I’ve been sleeping pretty comfortably through my pregnancy and am taking the opportunity to get in as much as I can because I know I’ll be kicking myself later if I don’t enjoy it now. This one doesn’t require too much extra effort on my part – sleep has always been a high priority item for me.
That’s it for now and probably more than enough to keep me on track for the next few months.